Q2 Tracker Link

(Cochrane Alberta Canada) Follow recent flights at: https://aprs.fi/cgmbk

Sunday, December 14, 2014

Fuselage re-build and New Canopy construction 2013-2014-2015

Fuselage re-build and New Canopy construction

The Quickie Q2 fuselage is undergoing major renovation and we will be incorporating some of the must have options that are noted on the Q-List and Quickheads sites.  Some of these upgrades are: modified tail wheel with individual cable controls to the rudder and to the tail wheel.  A new canopy using the tip forward design, modified T-tail control linkage.  The aircraft already has individually controlled disc brakes.  I have also modified the brake line, incorporating a larger diameter nylaflow conduit at the wheel fairings thus allowing the smaller nylaflow brake line to be routed through it for easier maintenance in future. The original brake line tubing was bonded into the wheel pods and could not be removed without considerable damage.



Original configuration of tail wheel.


New tail wheel.


Missing our dog Cooper sleeping here with his new bone. (Welsh terrier @ 4 yr.)




Below the seatback removable baggage panels have been fabricated slightly larger.  The openings have been fabricated with a  flange on the aft of the seatback and one on the forward face of the removable baggage panels.  These are a snug fit for full cross sectional compression strength.


The left side of the fuselage and the main seat tank was damaged in the off airport landing and had to be re-fabricated.  On tearing it apart I found fuel had stained/leaked into the foam along the right edges of the main tank.  I built a new main fuel tank and sealed up the surface under it with additional epoxy painted on. New center console and side consoles were also built.



New Q2/Dragonfly canopy being fabricated which will be in the tip forward configuration.




For better control and for redundancy separate cables are run to the rudder and to the tail wheel steering.  These join to a single cable going forward near the removable joint of the tail cone.








New rudder pedal tubes were fabricated and new nylon support blocks made for the attachment to the upper side of the canard wing (floor). Foot pads and brake units were reused.


I found the edges of the split line (removable tail) had been left as raw foam around both the forward and aft section.  I dug out the foam and installed a Cabosil/Epoxy mix into these edge openings.





Original cover and T-Tail wings were riveted in place.  I will be rebuilding to a removable condition.


Below the T-Tail was removed from it's riveted format and rebuilt with new metal and Nutserts for the removable panel and nuts and bolts for the trim wings.








Below after completion of fuel tank leak testing of the new main seat tank and the repaired header tank. No leaks found except for a couple of weeping fittings that needed tightening.  A big Yahoooo !  All the existing rubber lines for fuel (spaghetti sea of snakes) were replaced with proper aircraft aluminum lines and fittings.



Friday, June 6, 2014

Panel and Interior Re-fab in 2013/2014

Panel and Interior Re-fab
The existing panel has been scrapped and I have modified the panel to reduce the clutter and keep it simple.  The base frame of the panel is a 3 layer of carbon fiber with removable aluminum panels on the front side.  If instrument layout is required to be changed later it will be a easier modification to complete.  I still plan on installing a center section and a small side panel on the lower port and starboard of the main panel.  I am using a MGL E1 engine monitoring instrument which will monitor 4 CHT's, RPM, Oil temperature, and Oil pressure and Voltage.  The unit has the ability to trigger two alarm lamps that will alert the pilot if anything goes out of pilot specified limits.
 





 
All rubber fuel lines have been removed and proper aircraft aluminum lines and fittings have been installed.

 


I fabricated new tubing for rudder pedals and made up new nylon support blocks which attach to the upper side of the Canard wing (floor).  Eyeball fittings have been used on the firewall for cable pass through and all surplus holes have been closed.


Below I am using a Vernier cable to control my T-Tail trim system, this will allow fine tuning or large changes of the trim.  The vernier connects to a idler arm which in turn connects to the two cables (in sheaths) going to the aft t-tail wings.  I have the vernier cable encased in a aluminum tube which keeps the cable from flexing and is absolutely necessary.  The vernier cable is secured to the idler arm using two (2) B-Nuts locked down tight for double security.


 
Below is my linkage to the T-Tail trim wings on the port sidewall. I did not want to have any chance of failure of the linkage to  the T-Tail. The closeup shows my addition of two extra B-nuts to the vernier cable going forward which eliminates any chance of the center B-nut coming loose and slipping. 
 
 

The circumference of the removable tail cone edges were found to be just raw foam, so I dug out the foam to 1/2 inch and replaced the edges with cabosil/epoxy for a extremely hard edge.

 
My Canopy latching system using common door strikes and fabricating a exterior Pull to Open handle as is required by MDRA in Canada for amateur built aircraft. Interior release pull will be similar.  I also have a secondary lock which is a “Draw Latch” which will be mounted centrally on the aft canopy bulkhead.




 

               Below is the lower end of drive arms showing the adjustable rod ends enabling fine tuning adjustments.
Photo below is looking upward just aft of the baggage compartment space.  At the top there are two drive arms for the ailerons.